1) Trauma: trauma to the jaw can cause TMJ pain by damage to the ligaments and joints which can lead to pain and dysfunction
2) Bad Bite (malocclusion): the upper and lower teeth need to work together to meet in a place that the muscles and joints and teeth are all in harmony. If they do not,this affects other parts of your body including the jaws and neck
3) Posture: believe it or not, poor posture affects all joints and your well-being. This can also damage your neck and jaw joints and bite too
4) Overworking of your muscles: jaw joint problems strain your muscles and prevents the muscles and joints from working in harmony
5) Stress: stress can exacerbate pre-existing TMJ problems and bring out the worse
6) Grinding or Bruxism: this damages joints, teeth, and places unnatural forces on the system
In overview, it is easy to see that this is a delicate system that can lead to multiple problems and symptoms. If you have questions regarding Houston TMJ or TMJ Treatment, please feel free to contact our office, Ronald W. Konig DDS, FAGD, LVIF 713-668-2289.