Some people who have dental implants believe that just because their implants can’t get cavities, they do not have to take care of them. However, this is far from the truth. It’s still essential to take care of your dental implants to avoid gum disease, and oral complications.
The success of dental implants relies significantly on how you take care of your gums. Therefore, you must stay diligent with your daily at-home hygiene routine.
Let’s review how to take care of your dental implants properly.
Single Tooth Implants
For single tooth implants, proper hygiene is similar to taking care of your natural teeth:
- Brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Use a low-abrasive toothpaste
- Floss daily
- Use a nylon coated interdental brush to clean hard-to-reach places
- Use a Water Pik
- See your dentist twice a year
This will ensure that your implants are free of plaque buildup, which can lead to gum disease and bone loss.
Multiple Teeth Implant Replacements
When it comes to multiple teeth implant replacements, pay attention to the following:
- Do not eat sticky, hard, or crunchy foods that may damage your denture
- brush with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Rinse your gums and mouth with salt water after meals to help prevent gum disease
- See your dentist twice a year for professional cleaning
Full Arch Fixed Bridges
Dental implants may also include the use of fixed (permanent) bridges that are cemented or screwed into dental implants. These fixed bridges function like natural teeth to restore appearance, chewing ability and proper speaking.
Fixed partial dentures can replace either one or several missing teeth using titanium metal attachments connected to dental implants, which act as anchors for artificial crowns (caps).
The best way to care for these are:
- Brush around the gums working towards your new tooth
- Rinse thoroughly
- Brush four times daily with an anti-plaque toothpaste
- Floss once per day
- Use a Water Pik
- Rinse with disinfecting mouthwash
Are you interested in dental implants? Do you have questions about your dental implants? Contact us at Konig Center for Cosmetic & Comprehensive Dentistry to start the journey towards dental happiness with a consultation. Dr. Konig and his expert office staff are waiting to make your dental dreams a reality. Fill out our contact form or call us at (713) 668-2289. We offer various dental services and treatments at our office in Houston, TX.