At the Konig Center for Cosmetic and Comprehensive Dentistry, your health and happiness are top priorities. And, getting braces or another type of orthodontic can help with both of these things! Here are 6 things you should know about getting braces.
Should you get braces?
When considering whether or not to get braces, you want to know all the facts. Keep in mind:
1. You can get braces at any age. Braces aren’t just for teenagers! If you are looking to correct crooked teeth or if you are having dental or health problems because of crooked teeth, braces can help, no matter how old you are.
2. If you don’t want metal braces there are other options. Years ago, if you wanted to straighten your teeth you didn’t have much of a choice. Now, invisible aligners may be able to correct your crooked teeth. However, keep in mind that options such as Invisalign may not be right for everyone.
3. Braces aren’t just for cosmetic purposes. Having teeth that are straight is important when it comes to not only taking care of them properly but also for preventing jaw pain.
4. Your dentist is an important part of the process. You may see an orthodontist for the actual fitting and monitoring of the braces, but regular trips to your dentist are just as important. He or she will make sure you are cleaning your teeth properly and will perform that all-important twice yearly cleaning. And keeping your teeth clean every day is important, too! Make sure to follow instructions for flossing and brushing when you have braces.
5. Braces are a long-term commitment. The typical time frame for wearing braces is 2 years.
6. It will be a bit painful at first. There will be pressure on your teeth, and they will be moving, which is not the most comfortable feeling. However, you will quickly get used to your braces and soon you won’t even notice you have them.
If you are concerned about crooked teeth (or anything else related to your teeth or gums), call the Konig Center for Cosmetic and Comprehensive Dentistry in Houston, Texas. Call (713) 668-2289 today for an appointment!